Compliance is the extent to which a persons behavior coincides with the health practitioner's advise. Client's compliance with health care advice is of concern to all health care professionals. In today's, health care system the demographic variables, Sociopsychological variables, and the Structure variables are all cues to action. This specialized sector of Consulting has taken years in the making while continuously changing and ridding the wave of the 21st century global market.
A Compliance Consultant’s objective is to ensure a person complies with therapeutic regimen. This will however depends on many variables. Among them age, education, costs, the complexity of the regimen, it’s convenience, the individuals value of health, and the in-convenience of the illness itself. One must have scientific knowledge including behavioral psychology when offering their services.
Consultants in this sector will use their experience in research as a tool. Once the health market grew, different approaches were taken in order to use the variables at hand. For example a Compliance Department will investigate why some people comply with therapeutic regimens and others do not. As the understanding of the problem grew it was time to help clients comply with therapeutic regimens.
- The first step they took was to identify noncompliance.
- The second was to objectively recognize the client’s refusal while asserting and demonstrating concerns.
- Encouraged healthy behaviors through positive reinforcement.
- Establish why the client is not following the regimen.
- Use aids to reinforce teaching.
- Establish a therapeutic relationship of freedom, mutual understanding, and mutual responsibility. This will establish skills sets the client will have and control over their health.
As with any sector in the medical field a Bachelor's Degree and three to four years of related experience; or a MBA–HR and a minimum of four years related experience is sufficient to working as a Compliance Consultant. However a strong emphaisis should be in Science, Human Resources, social work etc. In the United States, a Compliance Consultant can make a salary of $80,000-$93,000 a year The salary however also depends on the qualifications and experience of the candidate. These statistics will vary from state to state. Years in the industry can also affect the pay scale. As competitive as the medical field has become it has brought along with it higher salaries and compensation.