In this article the participation of a Consultant and the ability to answer the following questions can better prepare applicants that are looking to break into the Consulting sector. Case interviews are considered one the most challenging aspects of the consulting interview process. However being aware that other types of interview questions will inevitably be asked when interviewing with a new consulting firm, is something to keep in mind. These interviews are primarily used to test the ability of potential employee who applied at a potential employer or firm. The main purpose of the interview is twofold. First is to determine how capable the applicant is with problem solving skills, secondly to assess how they came about their solutions gathering methods. In case interviews, the applicants are presented with a situation – a business problem usually. The applicants are then required to explore the problem and come up with recommendations. Usually the interview lasts about 30-45 minutes.
Below I will offer some common questions asked in these Case Interviews. These will be behavioral questions that a potential Management Consultant may be required to answer. Then following those I will pose general consulting interview questions.
Take the time and consider answering these questions for this exercise. Put those answers aside then come back to them in a week. Have your answers changed? What has happened for that change to occur? This is a good exercise to take into consideration 2 weeks prior to any interview process in the industry. Please look at the following questions and answer them to the best of your ability.
Interview Style Questions (Behavioral)
- Please describe a situation when you were required to demonstrate your coping skills.
- Can you tell me of a specific time when you used good judgment, and logic in resolving a problem?
- Please tell me of a time in your career when you were required to make a split second decision.
- Have your presentation or speaking skills been used to sway or influence a group of employees or clients?
- Can you describe a time or a situation in your career when going above and beyond the job requirement was used.
- Have you ever had too many things to do and you were required to prioritize your tasks.
- What is your way of dealing with conflict? Please give me an example of that time and discuss what methods you used to resolve them.
- Have you ever motivated co-workers? Tell me about your experience.
- Give me an example of when you used fact-finding skills to solve a problem.
- What does a Consultant do in your opinion?
- Why are you in the consulting industry?
- Why do you want to work with this firm?
- What other consultancy firms are you interviewing with
- Highlight your top achievements/ accomplishments?
- What are the four important qualities of a successful consultant?
- If I were to review your work performance after 3 months, what would my evaluation be in your opinion?
- If we give you an offer, on what bass will you make your decision?
- Name one thing you learned in the past year?
- What can you change in order to become a better Consultant?