For Consulting candidates who want to work for major corporations the biggest challenge they face is whether they have the requirements needed for their ''Case Interview'' In the industrial world a ''Case Interview'' is either the initial or secondary interview where the employer will present a problem or a situation for the candidate to resolve. Somehow this has become a dreaded aspect that can make or break a Consultants level of competency The requirement for the candidate is to find an acceptable ''solution'' to the ''case'' given. This helps the interviewer understand the thought process including in some cases the methods the candidate will use. It also offers the potential employer a look at the Consultant's limited or vast knowledge to the ''case''.
Walking into a Case interview is one of the most important aspects of the hiring process. The preparation needed and required to address some of the questions posed at the initial stage are what some Consultants fear. Candidates have their own perception. This is based on their background and years in the work force. However the following tips and situations are a good starting point to prepare for the interview. Keep in mind this will not take longer than 30-45 minutes.
- Most cases revolve around strategic analysis, marketing methods, distribution, of product, production or other related functions of that industry.
- Some consultants may not have had formal training in this field however, taking the time to access and look at the cause rationally, a combination of solutions will emerge. As long as there is logic to the solution offered the potential employer will definitely take note.
- If a Candidate is fresh out of College the best form of attack is to analyze “daily problems” a week before to help prepare the mind set for the interview.
- There are no “right answers” to a case. There are good solutions or bad solutions. One must break down the problem and come up with the hypothesis to support the solution in order to produce a good conclusion.
- The interviewer will give all the necessary information when discussing the case therefore hidden information is not something to look for.
- It is important to manage time efficiently. Time efficiency can be ultimately what makes or breaks the solution offered. The Budget spent due to time does have a major role in the assessment. Private companies are in business of making money in a constricted timely fashion, not wasting time. Therefore, the right solution given within a reasonable right time can make or break a company.
- When offering answers to a potential employer explain what method was used in finding the solution. This may very well be the candidates’ time to shine. Logical thinking and systematic methods are sought. Random synopsis firing would not be advisable.
- Do not state the obvious. Address the methods, along with any analysis studies used in order to show the effort behind the conclusions.