Principal consultants must guide the team members to complete the work assigned by the clients in a time bound manner. Their main work profile includes analyzing, designing, testing, scheduling and delivering the best solutions to the client. A principal consultant acts as a bridging gap between the clients and consulting firms. The amount of work assigned to the principal consultants depends on the type and size of firms. Sometimes they may have to handle large number of projects at one time and work out according to the expectation of the clients.
The following are the duties and responsibilities of principal consultants:
- Identifying solutions to the problem
- Managing and regulating working of the team members
- Taking and completing the assigned projects on time
- Negotiating with the clients regarding the budget
- Evaluate the present systems and find out their efficiency and faults
- Provide recommendations to the clients regarding the improvement of the systems
- Design and implement number of prototypes that give solution to the client's problem.
- Staying in contact with the clients even after the project is complete and ensure that the client is completely satisfied by the work.
- In case you fail to cater to the needs of the client, you are required to undertake necessary measures to get it done appropriately.
- If the work pressure is high then principal consultant may have to work for extra to get it done.
- Participate in the meetings of the company regularly and give the progress report of the project to the clients.
Principal consulting job demands huge responsibility, so the person seeking to develop career in principal consulting must acquire the following skills:
- He needs to be very good in programming, developing strategies, system protocols.
- Certification courses in different technologies are required.
- Most of the principal consulting firms require the principal consultants to specialize in a field.
- He must have excellent oral and written communication skills and must have capacity to lead team
- Efficient time management, excellent interpersonal skill is a must because most of the time they need to talk with their clients and make them understand the problems and their solutions.
- Should possess good logical ability so as to quickly find out the solution to the clients problem.
There is huge demand for consulting in the international business market. The people excel depending on their talents and interpersonal skills. New businesses are launched everyday. Hence principal consulting career has good job prospects. The hiring organizations look out for consultants with managerial skills, technical expertise, previous experience, expertise in a particular field, and great interpersonal skills.
The average salary offered to principal consultants is around $100000. This amount varies depending upon the experience, position in the company and the work load assigned to the person. The salary depends upon education qualification of the principal consultant.
Principal consultants with an expertise of more than 10 years in this field are responsible for engaging, and generating new business and expanding existing businesses. The experienced principal consultants provide opportunity to identify and develop accounts that already exists. They are responsible for supporting relationship between Microsoft and other important partners by hinting upon the common points of interest. The preparation of presentations, business developmental opportunities also fall within the purview of these professionals. These are required to business development events and make arrangement for conferences and seminars. For this the professionals are required to draw close relation with consulting staffs, qualified candidates. At times they may also be required to prepare hiring recommendations.